Niner University Elementary will develop lifelong learners and responsible, caring citizens through authentic and meaningful curriculum enacted through research-validated practices. Niner University Elementary is a public school developed, supported and operated by top education experts at UNC Charlotte. The program is intended to support students from high needs, low-performing schools and improve educational outcomes while employing research- based teaching methods.
- Provide all learners equitable access to a high quality education
- Offer a specially-designed curriculum created by faculty at the Cato College of Education
- Respond to your child's personal and educational strengths and needs
- Create an environment that encourages joy in the pursuit of learning
- Follow principles of culturally sustaining instruction
- Integrate arts and culture into the academic curriculum
- Listen. The students, school, and community will work together towards success.
- Provide job-embedded coaching and support to future teachers, in-service teachers, and aspiring school principals
In 2016, the North Carolina General Assembly approved the development of nine laboratory schools across the UNC System. Niner University Elementary will be a free, non-traditional public school serving students currently assigned to specified schools in Charlotte-Mecklenburg. It will be developed, supported and operated by UNC Charlotte.